The purpose of this section is to provide you with methods of contacting different activities in federal and state jurisdictions.  This is expected to be a growing list as you in different parts of the country (or throughout the world) provide additional “links” that may be valuable to classmates.  There are special activities dealing with subjects not germaine to people in our age group (level of experience).  They may pertain to our following generations in which case they will be include if submitted.

U. S. Naval Academy Alumni AssociationTel. 1-410-295-4000 
(Contact Us)
247 King George Street Street
Annapolis, MD 21402-5068

SHIPMATE Last Call ' Timophy Elizabeth Woodbury 1-410-295-4064   

National Personnel RecordsTel. 1-314-801-0800
Military Records (“service”)        
9700 page Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100
A fire destroyed many records in the 40s timeframe years ago that could not be duplicated from other sources; however, the above center can tell you whether they have them or inform you of other places to inquire.

Centers for Disease Control & PreventionTel. 1-800-232-4636
1600 Clifton Road
Atlanta, GA 30333
Type and there is a display by states and territories linking to their websites.  You can get birth, death, marriage, and divorce certificates/papers.

Defense Finance and Accounting Center 
Tel. 1-800-321-9080 

Defense Finance and Accounting Service 
U. S. Military Retired Pay
8859 E. 56th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46249-1200

Defense Finance and Accounting Service
U.S. Annuitant Pay
8859 E. 56th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46249-1300

Visit their site and download DFAS-CL 1340.3-G, “YOUR GUIDE TO SURVIVORS BENEFITS”. Report deaths of annuitant or spouse via above means.  Contact 1-800-269-5170 for casualty assistance.  Ensure SBP commencement is started if covered. If you haven’t established access, it is required to accomplish the foregoing.  SBP payments will commence if spouse is covered.

U. S. Department of Veterans AffairsTel. 1-800-827-1000 
810 Vermont Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20420
Veterans Services is the entry way for information about benefits & services, health & well-being, and burials & memorials.  The first service area includes pension, insurance, survivor benefits, etc. information.  The third service area includes information on cemeteries & services provided, burial allowances, and grave marrking.  Services vary with national and military cemeteries available to veterans.  There are almost 200 URLs off this website alone, many addressing medical areas.

Social Security AdministrationTel. 1-800-772-1213​
The telephone number is the quickest way to inform of a death. This will enable immediate stoppage of  Social Securiy payments and avoid having to refund them. Most funeral homes contact SSA as part of their notifications process automatically.  Ensure they do if you don’t.  There are SSA offices around the country and you will probably be directed to one to verify a death certificate and apply for death benefits. A spouse drawing Social Security on her spouse’s earnings doesn’t get burial allowances etc.
The SSA website provides access to medicare information. To close out account at death, contact i-800-633-4227. To close out Tricare for Life, contact 1-866-773-0404.

Internal Revenue ServiceTel.
For all tax matters. At death of veteran,(or spouse if filing separately) to close out federal account and income tax due for year of death.

County offices in all states with access to national records .

For those interested in burial cemetery or inurnment in the columbarium at the Naval Academy, information can be obtained from the following contact:
Sharon L. Moffatt
Memorial Affairs CoordinatorTel: 1-410-293-1101 
U. S. Naval Academy
101 Cooper Road
Annapolis, MD 21402-5027

Some funeral homes will notify insurance companies of deaths if they are identified to them.  Alternatively, telephone the insurance company and give them the identity of the funeral home, telephone number, and e-mail address to verify death.  Otherwise be sure you have enough death certificate to cover needs. In addition to sources cited above, the following toll-free numbers may be useful:
Armed Forces Benefit Association   1-800-776-2322
Burial At Sea  1-866-787-0081
Funeral Honors      1-877-645-4667
Military Benefit Association        1-800-336-0100
National Service Life Insurance         1-800-669-8477
Navy Mutual Aid     1-800-628-6011
Officer Benefit Association         1-800-736-7311
Uniformed Services      1-800-368-7021
Most of these are found at pages

Class of 1949 "Lucky Bag"

Class of 1949 "60th Reunion"

Congressional Voting